Finding a treatment to control acne is always a battle for those who suffer from it, but the victory from that battle can be quickly over shadowed for the unsightly Scars it can leave behind. There are for main Types of scaring caused by acne.
Ice pick scars – Deep pits, that are the most common and a classic sign of acne scarring.
Box car scars – Angular Scars that usually occur on the temple and cheeks, and can be either superficial or deep, these are similar to chickenpox scars.
Rolling scars – Scars that give the skin a wave-like appearance.
Hypertrophic scars – Thickened, or keloid scars
Prevention starts with a good treatment routine of your acne, during this time, being careful and conscious not to touch or pick at you acne, this will lessen and prevent additional scaring. Unfortunately if you suffer from sever acne some scaring may not be preventable; however there are treatments available for acne scars.
1) Topical Creams: (Tretinoin) help to smooth very fine acne scarring
2) chemical Peels: (AHA peels) improve overall skin tone and luster
3) Skin Fillers: injected into the depressed area of the scar to elevate it to the level of the normal surrounding skin
4) Skin Camouflage/Cover-up: option for some who cannot tolerate or cannot afford the other options
5) Injectables: (Artecoll®)new injectable, long lasting skin implant for the correction of wrinkles and depressed skin such as scars
1) Microdermabrasion: improves overall skin tone and luster and appears to help superficial mild acne scars
2) Photo rejuvenation: laser or broadband visible light, 5-6 treatments that are performed every 3-4 weeks will improve mild acne scarring
3) Scar Revision: Surgical removal (or excision) of acne scars is especially effective for ice pick and boxcar scars
4) Laser Treatments: combination of laser carbon dioxide (CO2), and/or Erbium: YAG laser. The skin is removed layer by layer, which removes the uppermost portion of the scars, at the same time heat produced by the laser tightens the skin, which will help smooth out the scars